Friday, January 4, 2008

Iowa Caucuses

I was rather facinated following the Iowa caucuses tonight. Obama won by a rather substantial margin over Hillary Clinton, which was a bit of a suprise...not neccesarily because he won, but because of the margin and the fact that she came in third (John Edwards came in second). Watching Obama's victory speech inspired me. I obviously was not alive to see John F. Kennedy, but seeing Obama makes me feel that this is what seeing JFK must have been like. I am going to support whoever the democratic nominee may be, because I like all three frontrunners. I like Hillary because of her experience and resilience and also because I feel that perhaps we need a female president. I like Edwards because of his populist message...his desire to narrow, if not altogether close, the gap between the "have's" and the "have nots" resonates with me. And I like Obama because I see him as a visionary - someone who is passionate about what he believes in and someone who will provide us with a much needed reprieve from the nasty partisanship that has consumed this country for the past 15 years. I am very excited about the field of candidates on the democratic side and cannot wait until the two nominees are chosen...this is the most important election in our nation's history!

No comments: